Sunday, September 23, 2012

Chapter 8: Working with School Personnel

What I Believe About:
Getting to know my school and surrounding community...
Working with my principal...
Working with other teachers...
Working with paraprofessionals and paid aides...
Preparing for substitute teachers...

This chapter ties in to almost everything I'm doing in the other education classes I am taking this semester.  One of my classes is about school-family partnerships and the importance of understanding the community, and the special education class I am in is currently focusing on relationships with other adult supports.  Because of that, I'm not going to get into what I believe about these things too deeply.  Some highlights are that the community can be a great resource for the classroom, creating partnerships throughout the school is critical to a happy and healthy work environment, paraprofessionals are great sources of support but can sometimes isolate the students they serve, and subs will love you forever if you have clear plans laid out for them.

---

In what ways, if any, has the chapter changed my beliefs?

I can't really say that this chapter changed any of my beliefs, but it definitely elaborated on some that I already held.  My favorite thing about this book is how practical everything is.  All of the advice and strategies are explicit enough that I can easily figure out how to apply them.  I'm also a big fan of lists, which this text offers plenty of, so I know this will be a book I refer to a lot in my first few years.



This is a really short blog post both because I feel more comfortable with these topics and I don't think I learned anything completely novel from the chapter and because I have my first day with my students tomorrow!  I will mostly be observing, but I will also have the opportunity to help facilitate peer editing groups and some other activities.  I'm excited to finally meet the classes I'll be teaching this semester, and I'm looking forward to meeting with my mentor teacher again and getting to know her better.

Wish me luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment