Saturday, October 13, 2012

Chapter 5: Positive Discipline in the Classroom

What I Believe About
The importance of discipline...
Culturally sensitive discipline...
Criteria for evaluating my discipline plan...
Preventative discipline...
Establishing classroom rules...
Underlying causes of misbehavior...
Asking for parent cooperation...
Positive discipline methods...

There is so much to say about discipline in schools that it's hard to figure out where to start.  Discipline is obviously important, but the goal is to establish classroom rules in such a manner that you are able to prevent disciplinary issues from being a problem.  Establishing rules is the first thing you should do in a classroom, right along with establishing a rapport with your students and developing routines.

I can't say I necessarily have my own discipline plan yet.  Right now, during these field experiences, I simply enforce the disciplinary plans that my mentor teachers already have in place.  I also haven't given very much specific thought to culturally sensitive discipline since I don't know who my students future students will be or what they will need.  Finally, I do know it is important to consider underlying causes of misbehavior--students act out and misbehave for a variety of reasons, some including misunderstanding scripts for classroom behavior, desire for attention, desire to escape a class or assignment, problems at home, etc.

------

In what ways, if any, has the chapter changed my beliefs about discipline?

I feel like I'm usually saying this, but the chapter didn't really change my beliefs on anything.  It just offered lots of new ideas and strategies for me to think about when I'm teaching.  The nonverbal and low-key interventions on p. 89 really confirmed a lot of what I try to do in the classroom I'm in now, which is good to hear.  One thing that I struggle with is that a lot of the remedies for dealing with bad behavior including spending more individual time with the student, and I'm not sure how to do that when I'm supposed to be teaching a class of 30.  I'd love to get to sit down with each of my students individually and get to know them and their needs, but it's just not practical.

Questions I Still Have...

Can I pull it off?  I'm not very loud or strict yet.  I know that's something I'll have to work on as I get more comfortable in the classroom.

No comments:

Post a Comment